Monday, September 9, 2013

Goings-on

Today is my first day of GFIT – I got in! So relieved. There were actually only five other people besides me who auditioned, so that was cool. And they all seemed really nice, so I'm excited to take this class with them. It still scares me a little to think about actually teaching others, but that's when you know you're really living, right? When you stretch yourself beyond your comfort zone, try new things.

Speaking of new things, I'll be tutoring a week from today. I've never done it before and don't really know what to expect, but the idea of making a difference for kids in school appeals to me. I have an orientation for it tomorrow (a more detailed one than the one I had last week which was more of an overview and doing paperwork for HR).

Other things I did last week – went to the special computer lab in the education building to do my stats assignment because I don't have the software program, SAS, that they have in the lab. (I tried accessing it through the university apps on my computer at home, but it didn't work). A nice benefit was getting to ask the GA who worked there a question when I had one. Of course he had statistics and of course he answered it : )

I guess some of my time has also been devoted to keeping up my job search records for unemployment (because they still want proof of that even if you are working part-time and still receiving compensation). Not sure how long I'll keep getting it, but we'll see.

And I did other administrative tasks like emailing professors. Well, specifically the one who oversees internships for my program. When I asked about how / when to apply, she said grad students can only do them in the fall now. I'm not really too upset about that fact itself, but just the way she responded so matter-of-factly after she'd known about my intent for so long now. I'm NOT going to postpone my internship til next fall because I wouldn't get financial aid and I've prepared to do it this summer. So if I can't do it for academic credit, I'll do it on my own and just use my last 3 credit hours for the online sports psychology class. I should be able to handle one online class at the same time, right? My professor didn't even respond when I responded back. So helpful. But it's okay. Things seem to be going well overall, and that's what's more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment