Wednesday, September 18, 2013

More goings-on

GFIT
Fourth class of 12 tonight. I'm kinda back and forth between feeling confident and scared. Learning to count beats, when and how to cue...the importance of starting on a specific foot because it does matter. Trying not to look too far ahead because what IS ahead still seems over my head. But maybe once the bridge is reached, it will be crossable? I had my first shadow / team teaching day yesterday. It's a 'step n more' class. I did the class intro which wasn't too hard, and then took the class as a participant. Didn't quite get everything, but did my best to soak up everything I could. Next week I have to instruct the class in the warm-up, so this Friday she and I will get together to practice it. I guess there is a lot of time that goes into this class even outside the twice weekly regular meeting. But that's cool. I have to figure out the music situation too. And some other things that I think are bubbling beneath the surface of my consciousness that I have questions about, but like I said, I can't think about too much at once. It's a lot. But I feel like writing about it a little might help me stay organized. Maybe. Hmm, I'm gonna have to choreograph stuff? Holy crap. But jumping ahead, Marianne, jumping ahead.

Tutoring
First day was Monday. It was mostly observation as I sat at a table in the corner of the classroom. There were four class periods that took place during my time there, and different things happened in each. For some, the kids worked on assignments on their own (vocab), in one the teacher did a quiz game on states and capitals...and each period was a different grade level. But during each one, the teacher introduced one or two kids to me and told them to tell me what they were having trouble with. I also introduced myself and said I'd be there every week to help them. So they're supposed to bring materials from whatever classes they need help with and hopefully I'll be able to help them during that class period. I hope I can do whatever it is they bring!

Because I changed places of employment (from the bookstore to tutoring), unemployment forced me into claiming another 'job termination' so I'll probably go back into permanent limbo with them again. Oh well. I've got a lot of other things to focus my energy on – like homework for my other classes and family stuff (they're here this week so I'm really multi-tasking at the moment). I might mention more family stuff in another post, but this is good for now, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment