Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Random thoughts about work and future work

I still don't know when my job is going to end, they've kept me and 1 or 2 of the other temps past the new year due to losing some people and still having some stuff for us to do. But now I'm on automatic pilot, not really having to think about what I'm doing. I do like getting to take breaks whenever I want and getting to work pretty independently, which makes me think 'why did I always hate / dread office work before?' Maybe I wasn't kept busy enough at previous office jobs, I don't know. Bottom line is that I've discovered it's not so bad. But I'm not wrong to be seeking more. To be aspiring to really make a difference somewhere. Because while the office work can be comfortable at times, there isn't really growth attached to it. You can't let yourself get comfortable. 

In my last learning partner practice for wellness coaching, I mentioned to my partner that I had sort of a paradigm shift over recent years. I used to think when I was growing up that any high-earning job would be boring and that if you didn't have a boring job, you'd probably make very little while pursuing fun stuff (the arts). It'd be a trade-off. Money vs enjoyment. But it isn't always the case. Why did I think the arts were more fun? Well, I valued creativity and being able to make people think or see the world differently. And I wanted to leave a legacy, make some kind of mark, be remembered. Along the way I realized I could still make people think / help people if I were focusing directly on what made them happy and healthy (rather than telling stories or acting...which can also contribute to happiness and health, but hey). In my own life, that's what I ended up focusing on anyway. What makes you happy and healthy? As I've mentioned before, I think it has a lot to do with your state of flow, having something you're kept busy and challenged by, etc. I guess there are other things that can contribute too, but that's such a big one, I think. So in aiming to be a coach, I'd kinda like to help people figure out what they might want to do in life / what their passion is (if they don't already know). Could I ever (and would I want to) help people with eating disorder issues? Wouldn't I want to help people dealing with stuff I personally dealt with? Maybe I only dealt with it a little, which is why I don't claim to be an expert on it; but it's one of those things I feel a connection to, and something I feel like I learn more about with time and experience. So we'll see. I think it's all kind of related, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment