Sunday, November 9, 2014

Thoughts on motivation and exercise

In preparing for tonight's coaching lesson (reviewing the material I read last weekend), I've gotten inspired to write down a few things I didn't think of when I wrote my previous post Fri. night. We're covering motivational interviewing (which I described briefly in another post but which we didn't cover at the time, it was a little premature). I think my nutshell description of it would be 'What is the reason for a particular behavior change?' 'Why do you want to do it/ why is it important?' It's about change talk, determining how ready people are to change, and perhaps increasing their readiness. This afternoon I was thinking about how I've brought myself to make certain changes in my life and what motivated me to make them. Sometimes it's a matter of dissatisfaction with the current state of things. I wasn't satisfied with what I did for a living, so I went back to school for something else. When it comes to physical habits (which constitute so much of what people seek counseling or coaching for), sometimes it's dissatisfaction with how you look or feel. Sometimes physical symptoms/ailments or actual health problems serve as the trigger to change (which I think are stronger/ more urgent motivators). I had physical symptoms which may have resulted from my body control issues, and they prompted me to go to doctors and attempt to make changes. Sometimes necessity makes you change a habit unconsciously or involuntarily. For example, my job demands didn't allow time for certain rituals I used to do and it may have been for the better. (Which leads to a side note about how being busy / challenged can help certain problems in life that result from NOT being busy or challenged).

I happened to listen to another recorded coaching session as part of my lesson preparation. There wasn't anything particularly extraordinary or different about it, but after contemplating again and again how common the issue being discussed was, I just had to blurt out my feelings on it. The issue was feeling like one should exercise more. A lot of people feel they should. There are guidelines for how much exercise people should get (which you learn on like day one of majoring in exercise science). Now here's my take. If you play a sport, you don't really need to worry about it. The nice thing is that sports have a higher goal / aim besides the exercise itself. (That is skill, excelling at it, etc). Exercise is just a by-product. You happen to get it because it's built in. I used to participate in a sport. Sadly, though, sports fall by the wayside for many when they grow up because careers that are not professional sport careers tend to take up a lot of time. What's the alternative? There are people who don't play sports or even exercise for the sake of exercise but who still manage to stay thin because of NEAT: Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis. I learned about this in school. It's basically expending energy by being busy with daily tasks (tasks that don't involve continuous sitting). Even if you have a mostly sedentary job but still take breaks throughout the day to run around the parking lot / get your heart rate up a little, wouldn't you say that it would allow you to stay at a healthy weight? (In addition to coordinating your food intake to match what you're expending). That's my idea of staying healthy. This so-called third option of setting aside time to 'work out' that people talk about? They might think they need to do that. Maybe some people do. Maybe for some people it's hard to manage their daily energy balance without specifically setting aside time to 'exercise.' But I'm just saying there are other possibilities. Like eating right and having the bits of activity like I was mentioning above. Has there been any conversation about this anywhere? Because it's one I'd really like to participate in if I could. (Or start, lol).

And then I could combine that conversation with one about how being busy and challenged in life with anything (whether it involves exercise or not) can make it easier for you to stay healthy, period. Because if your mind is engaged, your body is probably engaged in some way too. It's not being passive the way it would be if you were bored. And if you happen to be sitting but are still engaged with your mind, it's probably gonna prompt you to want to take a break at some point to increase your blood flow because that's what you'll naturally crave. If you're being mindful, that is. Mindful of how you feel. That's important.

No comments:

Post a Comment