Saturday, November 22, 2014

Branching Out

Last week's coaching lesson was on building self-efficacy. The next one is on the TTM (Transtheoretical Model of Behavior Change). I was introduced to the TTM in school, but now I'll actually be delving in deeper and applying it, so that's cool. One interesting thing I did last week, though, was email my assigned admin person (not part of the faculty but still trained as a coach and working for Wellcoaches). It was about my side interest that hasn't directly related to the material but which I've talked about at length on this blog. How the mind affects people physically. About whether being challenged in life could be a cure to certain problems. She emailed me back some articles to read which have been kind of interesting (on mindfulness, meditation...I have one left right now). But before she even emailed me back, I started to think to myself – am I attempting to say that health and happiness is as simple as merely having an enjoyable, meaningful, and fulfilling career? Can you have a career you love and not be happy or healthy? I don't know. I think it's so relevant to me simply because getting a meaningful and fulfilling career has been a lifetime's worth of effort for me.

Anyway, career counseling is sort of a separate path than wellness coaching (and an alternate one I keep pondering in the back of my mind. What if I'd pursued that instead? What if I'd majored in psychology instead?) But there IS some overlap that I'm learning about through wellness coaching. Wellness coaching is about behavior change and helping people set goals to become their best selves. Doesn't career factor into a person's wellness? Sure. Some of the faculty have been saying they did executive coaching or life coaching...and it all sort of blends together in a way. So maybe it doesn't matter if I majored in one thing or another. Maybe I'll still arrive at the same place. Come to it from another direction.

1 comment:

  1. Just finished talking with one of my assigned learning partners and it was very enlightening. She's done life coaching and wellness coaching too. She mentioned one thing I hadn't thought of, which was that more people seek life coaching on their own than wellness coaching. Wellness coaching is sometimes provided through work, so that might be a reason for some reluctance. But anyway, another point she made was that when we coach for wellness, we'll probably end up coaching life issues too. And I think I could counsel people on career stuff - whether they're in the right one or not. I can at least impart what I know about day-to-day living and how work / passion might fit into that / affect that.
    Also, I just joined the Wellcoaches group on LinkedIn so I shall start looking at the discussion board for that!

    ReplyDelete