Sunday, October 19, 2014

Work and coach training, revisited

Well, I survived my first 6 day work week (week 3 of the job). Part of me thinks if I hadn't been lucky that first day /week in getting off on the right foot, things might not have continued to go as well as they've been going. So that's good. Yesterday was actually the busiest day up to this point. There was a brief period of overwhelm (when a bunch of things get piled on you at once), but it's kind of good when you're kept on your toes. For the higher level staff, I could tell there was stress going on with other high-level processes, and at one point one of our websites was down. But everyone has seemed to be keeping a level head so far. I hope it remains so. From what they've said, it gets busier as the annual election period is well underway (like November). I think our working Saturday (yesterday) was due to some system issues and quality control that needed to be taken care of so things are able to run more smoothly when the rubber meets the road. So we'll see what happens. It's cool they let us have tomorrow off so we still have a 2-day weekend. I don't know if that will always be the case. But I'll take what I can when I can.

Last Saturday I did the lesson preparation for today's wellcoaches class (#5). That was made possible because last Sunday (lesson #4) didn't have any prep. It was just a practice session. So I took the opportunity to get ahead for today. My plan is to do the prep for next Sunday (#6) tomorrow since I have the day off. Whether I'll work next Saturday or not, I don't know. I'm gonna have to take things week by week. I know I mentioned a little about the content of the classes in my last post. And like I said in this post, we did some practice last week with reflections and open-ended inquiries. When practicing, there often seems to be 2 tracks your mind has to juggle. One is obviously listening to the client and responding and being present in the moment. And the other is making sure that your responses are in line with the processes you're being taught. The best thing is when whatever comes naturally to you is already in line with what's being taught. But it doesn't always happen that way (as much as you might think it would). I guess in time the things might merge a little easier. But overall, the concepts we're learning DO seem natural and smart to me. Don't advise people. Let them listen to themselves, let them do the work. When they know someone is simply listening and providing an outlet, things will come to the surface. And when people step back and sit with silence for a while, it can be effective because it's probably a rare thing to have silence in life.

Other things we covered were self-care and surveys of our signature strengths. My top 5 were: love of learning, self-regulation (which our instructor said was the least common one among people in our country), honesty, judgment (thinking things through, not jumping to conclusions, having the ability to change your mind), and appreciation of beauty and excellence. Tonight's lesson is about motivational interviewing which entails expressing empathy, developing discrepancy, rolling with resistance, and supporting self-efficacy. Within the empathy facet is non-violent communication which entails making observations instead of evaluations, expressing feelings instead of thoughts, identifying needs instead of strategies, and making requests instead of demands. So I'm basically just reiterating my textbook here, lol. Oh well. Now I guess I'll enjoy the rest of my Sunday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment