Monday, October 26, 2015

Anticipation

The two part-time jobs didn't hire me, but the weight loss clinic did offer me a job. I was almost gonna take it. But some red flags came up when I learned more about it, and I didn't take it. Which is for the best, I think – because something better came along. A professional, corporate wellness job as a health coach – the ideal thing I've been looking for and competing with many for. I've just interviewed for it and am waiting to hear, but I have a good feeling. It's in FL, but on the east coast instead of the west. Which is actually a great scenario – I get to move, but still stay in state : ) And it's 85% travel (with mileage reimbursement). I haven't done that before, but it means I'm not at a desk job 9-5! This could be life-changing. Getting my career off the ground for one thing, and shaking things up with my own health / way of living. When I look back at some of the things I did when I was younger (like being a movie extra in L.A., a thing which also had a lot of unpredictability) I marvel at how much changed in just the last couple years. It's a physical health issue I can't really explain, but I've kept wondering if a return to my old self / my old ways would somehow improve it. I just haven't known HOW to return to my old self / old ways.
Something that goes along with this is a post from the Institute for the Psychology of Eating, which I've mentioned before. The post is http://psychologyofeating.com/new-definition-metabolism/ . I love it because it gets at my long-time interest in how the mind or even outer circumstances in life can affect your body. It isn't just nutrition and exercise. After reading the post, it made me wonder – could there be people who are happy / have a sense of purpose, good relationships, everything good psychologically – who still have body / health issues? I guess so. But if I got in a job I loved and was happy like I was in college, would it help me? It's a research question for sure, and I feel like my life itself is essentially one big work of research. Hehe. Come to think of it, I believe there were some tough times in my life when I didn't have the health issues despite the fact that times were tough. So who knows? But yeah, I think when I'm coaching people, there WILL be some who are generally happy with their lives overall and just have some health things to address. Otherwise, we'd be getting into therapy territory, and I'm not a therapist. But behavior change DOES incorporate psychology and it DOES come about as a result of something not working in a person's life. So there's some overlap. That's what makes it so interesting to me and brings me back around to the start of this paragraph - your mind and life circumstances affect you physically in profound ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment